Allez Abroad’s FAQ for Students: Study Abroad

Allez Abroad’s focus is Faculty-Led Programs :

woman in yellow jacket holding books
FAQ: Study Abroad for Students

Here we will be covering most questions in our Allez Abroad FAQ for Students: Study Abroad. If there are any questions that you have outside of these please reach out to us on our contact page.

FAQ: Study Abroad for Students

What are faculty-led study-abroad programs?

The Faculty-led study abroad programs are at your university courses taught by your professors. Professors who are traveling while offering a study-abroad component. You will receive credits for a semester course. It’s linked to a short-term overseas program during the spring or summer. 

Allez Abroad offers a unique opportunity for experiential learning abroad with your university faculty and classmates. Your program will include a short stay in a European capital city. Afterwards, you’ll have an off-the-beaten-path experience in the rural and least populated department of France.

The short-term stays vary in length from 8 days to 6 weeks. Although, we recommend spending a minimum of 10 days, given the travel time to get from your university to France.

What are the advantages of doing a faculty-led program?

There are many advantages to participating in a faculty-led program, one of which is cultural discovery while interacting with the locals. You will earn credits towards your degree while experiencing uniquely foreign culture.

Unlike many other programs, you will be experiencing a rural travel experience. You will get to combine a short stay in an European capital city with a rural stay. We, along with your professor, have prepared for you strong academics and real-world interactions. Study abroad helps make students more marketable upon their graduation.

Participating in faculty-led courses abroad is a unique opportunity to take your learning not outside of the classroom. You’ll be accompanied by an experienced professor from your university. You will be experiencing the unforgettable landscapes, culinary excellence and natural settings with memories that will last a lifetime.

When is the study abroad program?

The overseas portion of the course associated with studying abroad will take place during spring, or summer break, so you won’t miss out on anything on your home campus the semester. You won’t either have to take too much time away from work or your family. 

Can my family come?

We at Allez Abroad encourage, but not impose, the families who can, to travel too! Not simultaneously, but slightly away from your group in order to share those unique experiences.

How much does it cost? Are there scholarships?

Financially, the shorter program is a more affordable study-abroad option. Depending on the tuition structure of your university, there may not be additional tuition costs. Moreover, there are many scholarships available to help cover the program fee. Check with your leading professor or your academic advisor for scholarships specific to your university or other available scholarships.

We at Allez Abroad also offers (on certain conditions) a scholarship for one all-expenses paid student. This is offered for returning professors. Each leading professor will set the guidelines to see if you may qualify.

What will I learn from my study abroad program?

Within your short time abroad, a faculty-led program can enrich and enhance your

  • critical thinking skills
  • cross-cultural communications skills (though mastery of the French language is not required)
  • intercultural awareness (which creates more respectful citizens)
  • academic performance (with renewed motivation upon completion of the program)
  • language learning (though mastery of the French language is not required)
  • professional development (in some instances, internships may be available)
  • social life at your university (by meeting new classmates from your university in a different setting) 

By studying abroad, you will acquire skills to solve problems which you may not encounter back home, develop a deeper global outlook and tolerance for challenging situations, and collaborate with people with diverse cultural, social and linguistic backgrounds – which are paramount for today’s graduates to evolve as blooming professionals. You will experience a whole world of adventures and gain new insights, encounters, and friends. Most of all, you will be in rural settings, which is what sets Allez Abroad apart from other study-abroad programs.

How might I be impacted by COVID-19?

The safety and security of your university participants will always be our top priority. We at Allez Abroad constantly monitor all Centers for Disease Control (CDC) warnings; U.S. State Department travel advisories. Also travel restrictions from countries abroad; and we consult with your university leadership (study-abroad of Global Engagement department) and Risk Management Teams. As well as our local partners, the sanitary travel situations, specifically between the USA-Canada corridor and France.

Most faculty-led programs have been canceled for the Spring or Summer of 2021 as the situation remains uncertain. However, we are confident that study-abroad programs will resume effectively and safely in 2022. We strongly advise that study abroad applicants don’t purchase flights connected to your faculty-led program. Allez Abroad offers an all-inclusive experience for which the flights will be booked only if it safe to travel and until approved by your university

We recommend that you consult with your advisor and/or professor to complete your application for the Faculty-Led course you are interested in. Also select a backup course with (your university) campus; this would protect you in case the evolving COVID-19 situation affects international travel (which could involve a course cancellation over the summer). If a faculty-led course is canceled by Allez Abroad due to an ongoing COVID-19 threat or due to under-enrollment, the $500 deposit, $100 Study Abroad fee, and any of the remaining Program Fee that has been paid will be returned to the students’ account. 

FAQ: Study Abroad for Students

Eligibility and How to Apply

applying for Allez Abroad study abroad programs
Am I eligible to participate in a faculty-led program?

Check with your university for the requirements (year, minimum GPA, disciplinary status) set by your university. You must be aware that each course may have specific requirements (i.e., prerequisites), which can usually be found under the Academics tab of each faculty-led program’s brochure page in the Study Abroad portal of your university.

Are graduate students allowed to participate in faculty-led programs?

While most universities allow grad students to participate in many of the faculty-led programs offered at your university. Sometimes a grad student finds him/herself unable to participate in such programs. Read more about which programs offer grad sections on the Study Abroad programs portal of your university. Inquire with us, in the Contact Tab of our website to see what is available. Or click the link below.

What if I am an international student, can I participate in a faculty-led program?

Yes. However, international students at your university must meet the same eligibility requirements. If you want to study abroad, you must consult with your university International Students Department to ensure that you will maintain your F-1 visa status.

How may I apply for a faculty-led program?

First, start by researching programs on our website. Or get with your advisor or leading  professor for approved Allez Abroad programs within your university. With most universities there is a two-part application process: Pre-Decision and Post-Decision. Once you complete the Pre-Decision documents, your university Study Abroad (or Global Engagement) department will review your application, along with your GPA and disciplinary status. (For some programs, additional approval by the professor may be required.)

You will be notified of your acceptance by email via your student portal. Then you will move on to the Post-Decision part. For most universities, this includes electronically signing documents and paying a non-refundable deposit that will vary. Your deposit payment lets us and your university know you are committed. Not to mention, secures your spot in the course.

Please note study abroad programs are on a first come, first served basis. Your university Study Abroad (or Global Engagement) department will then register you in the respective course. Then communicate your specific information to us.

Your university Study Abroad (or Global Engagement) office accepts applications on a rolling basis. During the faculty-led application period until the priority deadline (those periods differ from one university to another). The date usually coincides with your university general course registration. After the deadline, your university welcomes students to apply on a space-available basis.  

How do I register for a faculty-led study-abroad course?

Each university may have a different process. Most universities consider that unlike other university courses where you register yourself during the registration period, your university Study Abroad (of Global Engagement) office will register you in the course. They do so by using the proper CRN (Course Registry Number), once your study abroad application process (Pre and Post Decision) and deposit are complete. 

Are there limited spaces on faculty-led programs?

Allez Abroad, offers a variety of available faculty-led programs and dates, the number of spots varies depending on the program. The programs can fill up quickly, so it is a good idea to apply early (typically we try to limit participation to 20-25 students per professor).

As previously mentioned, the application is made up of two parts (Pre and Post decisions), including a non-refundable deposit (the amount varies according to each university). Your completed application and deposit payment lets your university know you are committed and secures your spot in the course, which is on a first come, first served basis. The Study Abroad (or Global Engagement) department will then register you in the course.   

How soon should I begin planning?

Although most universities have a lag time of one to two years, it’s always a great idea to plan as early as possible. This way you can a study-abroad experience during your time at your university! The sooner you plan, the better prepared you will be (administratively and financially). Start by letting your Academic advisor or your Lead Professor know that you are interested in a study-abroad program. This allows you the greatest flexibility and preparedness in your plans.

Because, most scholarship applications are typically due earlier than program applications. Depending on each university; Faculty-led applications for the upcoming semester sometimes open a few months before the course registration. Usually, the priority deadline coincides with course registration. Allez Abroad, along with your university welcome students to apply on a space-available basis after the priority deadline. As long as it is approved by the leading professor of your program.

FAQ: Study Abroad for Students


How do Academics facture into a study abroad program with Allez Abroad?
How does my faculty-led study abroad course grade matter?

It matters like any other grade at your university. The faculty-led courses are part of your university courses. Therefore, they fall under its academic policies, like your other semester classes. 

How is a faculty-led course structured?

Each faculty who decides to lead a faculty-led course with Allez Abroad will operate like other courses from your university. You will receive academic instruction from your professor. Typically, there will be a number of mandatory class meetings at your university during the semester before you go abroad. Along with program information which can be provided directly to your professor by Allez Abroad. For Spring, the travel portion may take place during Spring break or Summer break. For Summer, the travel portion always takes place during the Summer break.

How much of the academic content for this class is done abroad?

It varies from one university to another, as well as from one program to another. Depending on the program and Faculty Leader. Most programs hold class meetings (in-person or online, depending on the COVID-19 situation) with associated deliverables (i.e. travel document, work papers, etc.) during the semester before you depart on the travel portion. The international trip is a unique opportunity to gain significant understanding for the material you are studying while in the field, abroad with your professor. If you have questions about academics, email your leading professor directly. 

Is it necessary to the professor before signing up for the course?

No! As with most universities, professors who teach faculty-led study-abroad courses are not only experienced in their fields of study; they are also passionate about leading students abroad on a culturally immersive and meaningful experience outside the classroom. As part of the planning process of your academic studies, you should understand how the study-abroad course fits into your university academic plan. Reach out to the Faculty Leader or your Academic advisor directly with any academic question. 

FAQ: Study Abroad for Students

Cost and Finances

What is the cost of a faculty-led program ?

As with most universities,  faculty-led courses are for credit, so you will  pay your usual university tuition for the semester (assuming you aren’t over 18 credits for the term). Moreover, students are also subject to  their university Tuition Cancellation Policy. In addition to university tuition, students typically pay (however, this pricing structure may vary from university to another, we recommend that you inquire with your Study Abroad (or Global Engagement) office to specific program cost):

a) Program Fee

For the overseas component, of which a non-refundable deposit (the amount will be determined by your university Study Abroad [or Global Engagement] office) within 2 weeks of acceptance into the program. This deposit, which is payable via various methods (i.e., your study abroad application, student portal, etc.) indicates your commitment and secures your spot. The due date (determined by your university) for the remaining amount of the Program Fee, which is usually billed to your university student account, coincides with your semester payment. 

b) $100 Study Abroad (or Participation) Fee, billed to your university student account. 

Out-of-pocket expenses (visas, some meals, etc.) are not included in the Program Fee (though for our all-inclusive programs, the airfare and ground transportation abroad and most non-personal expenses are included) and are the responsibility of the student. You can view an estimated budget sheet for your program under the Costs/Scholarships tab of the program page on your university Study Abroad (or Global Engagement) portal. 

The costs outlined are an approximation, because each student personal spending habits and individual needs may vary. Check with your Study Abroad (or Global Engagement) department and the Leading professor for available scholarships. Additionally, do not hesitate to relay any expenses related questions to your Leading Professor who will send them to us. 

Unlike other study-abroad experiences, Allez Abroad is proud to offer a better value for your unique traveling, studying and cultural experiences. You will spend a limited time in a European capital city (i.e., Paris or Barcelona) and you will then travel to this unspoiled area of France. You will typically incur less personal expenses than if you were to stay in an urban setting for the duration of your study-abroad program.

What does my Program Fee cover?

Program Fee inclusions vary by program and by university. With Allez Abroad, most will include airfare, housing, meals, group transportation abroad, field trips and group activities for the overseas portion. Out-of-pocket expenses (visas, some meals, etc.) are not included in the Program Fee and are the responsibility of the student. You can view an estimated budget sheet for the program under the Costs/Scholarships tab of the program page on your university. As previously stated, the costs outlined are an approximation. The costs vary  depending on your personal spending habits or individual needs. Also, students are subject to your university Tuition Cancellation Policy.

How do I pay my [non-refundable] deposit?

Depending on each university payment policy, you will typically make the deposit payment via credit card. This will be through the Study Abroad (or Global Engagement) portal of your university. Allez Abroad recommends that you check with your Leading Professor or your Study Abroad (or Global Engagement) department.

They will provide you with specific steps to process your payment through your university secure system. When the payment has gone through, you will be notified by the method which your university has selected. Upon confirmation of your participation, your university will then notify us at Allez Abroad. Then we can proceed with your participation and registration process with our partners and providers. 

How should I estimate my extra expenses?

You can view an estimated budget sheet for the program under the Costs/Scholarships tab of the program page on the Study Abroad (or Global Engagement) portal of your university. As previously stated, the costs outlined are approximate, and vary depending on your personal spending habits and individual needs. 

Can I use financial aid to cover the cost of the program?

Each university and each Faculty-Led course has a specific Program Fee (for its entirety as well as for the overseas component), in addition to your university tuition. As with most universities your Financial Aid goes towards your university regular term’s Tuition. This typically includes your university scholarships and grants and Federal and State aid. Or any outside scholarships you may receive. That being stated, however, Financial Aid does not typically apply to the faculty-led course Program Fee. Or any out-of-pocket costs like visa, some meals or souvenirs.

Check with your Leading Professor or Study Abroad (or Global Engagement) department for specifics. If you need additional assistance with financing the costs associated with the faculty-led course, your family may apply for a Federal Parent PLUS loan. You, as the student, may apply for an Alternative Bank loan or find an innovative solution. These include crowdfunding or search for specific private sponsorship or through a philanthropic foundation (i.e. Lion’s Club, Rotary Club).

Are there scholarships for faculty-led programs?

As with most programs and as previously stated, there are scholarships to study abroad, and some are specific to your university (or your state) faculty-led programs. Check the Scholarship page of your university’s Study Abroad (or Global Engagement) department for more information about scholarships offered by your office. As always, plan your study abroad early, as scholarship application deadlines are usually early and the process typically takes time. 

Can I get a refund if I withdraw? What about if a program is canceled by the university? 

If you cancel/withdraw from a faculty-led program after paying the deposit (the amount determined by your university), this deposit is non-refundable. If the Study Abroad (or Global Engagement) department is unable to register you for the associated faculty-led course for which you paid the deposit (due to a Hold on your student account for example, or another reason for which you are responsible), the deposit remains non-refundable. However, some exceptions to this policy are allowed and should be outlined in your study abroad application. Students are also subject to their university Tuition Cancellation Policy.

If your university or Allez Abroad cancels the international travel portion of a faculty-led program due to a threat (i.e., COVID-19, weather, security concerns) or cancels the course due to under-enrollment, the deposit (which you have paid), $100 Study Abroad fee, and any of the remaining Program Fee that may have been paid will be returned to the students’ university account.

  • Note: If there are any outstanding fees on your student account, the funds (or refund) returned to you may automatically be applied to pay the balance. If not, refunds will be processed based on the method that the student has set up with the university (credit card, check, etc.). If you have questions about a refund, please reach out for Study Abroad (or Global Engagement) office. 
FAQ: Study Abroad for Students


applying for a passport for study abroad program
How do I get (or renew) a passport?

For all U.S. citizens, information on applying for a new passport (or renewing) can be found on the U.S. State Department website. Your passport should be valid for at least 6 months beyond your study-abroad program’s end date. At this time (January 2021), the U.S. State Department is recommending that people don’t submit applications for passports until they resume normal travel operations. As such, passport processing is taking much longer due to COVID-19.

Please allow plenty of time for processing, and plan well in advance – especially since you may need to obtain a visa or special travel authorization to study abroad with your new passport, which could take several additional weeks. Travel conditions and/or restrictions evolved regularly and Allez Abroad consistently monitors these changes. Should such changes occur, we will inform your Leading Professor or your Study-Abroad (or Global Engagement) office.  

Do I need a visa to study abroad?

A visa is an official document issued by a foreign country permitting you into the country. As of now, all U.S. citizens staying in France less than 90 days will not need a visa or any other special travel authorization. However, due to COVID-19, IATA (International Air Travel Association) is developing a COVID vaccination passport, which could become required in the future for U.S. citizens to travel to France.

Depending on your citizenship, and the length of your study-abroad program or internship (i.e., less or more than 90 days), you may be required to obtain a visa or special travel authorization. Due to the short duration of our faculty-led programs, most programs don’t require a visa (unless you participate in a paid-internship). 

However, it is your responsibility to research what is needed, and obtain any required visa(s) or travel authorization to travel abroad. International students who want to study abroad must consult with their university’s International Student department to ensure that they will maintain their F-1 status.

How should I prepare for the overseas component of the program?

You will be scheduled to attend a pre-departure orientation at your university during the semester that will offer helpful information and other tips to prepare you for your international experience. There should be a section concerning health and safety, also one concerning travel resources on your program’s brochure page in the Study Abroad (or Global Engagement) portal with valuable information for you to review before departing.

Be proactive. Do research so you can maximize your time abroad! Do not wait until you are given information by your Leading Professor. Get to know your classmates and Faculty Leader(s) with whom you will be traveling with; get excited! Ultimately, this is your study abroad experience! Make the most of it.

Allez Abroad will be here every step of the way to ensure proper information is relayed to your Faculty Leader and/or your Study Abroad (or Global Engagement) office.

When should I make reservations for airfare to/from the program location?

International airfare to/from the program is included in the Program Fee and is the responsibility of Allez Abroad. You do not need to worry about that. Because faculty-led programs require a minimum number of enrolled students to run, Allez Abroad will not book your airfare until the program participation is confirmed by your Faculty Leader or (your university) Study Abroad (or Global Engagement) department. After booking is confirmed, a flight itinerary will be provided.

How much free time will I get abroad?

Each program is carefully developed to balance your academic learning with an immersive on-the-ground, off-the-beaten-path experience. Depending on your faculty-led program (i.e. its length, and the mastery of French required), you can expect days filled with visiting cultural/historical sites. Also, meeting professionals at local companies, or collaborating side by side with community members (specifically for internship programs. There is also time for you to enjoy on your own and discover what interests you. Sample itineraries based on previous programs may be available on our program page or on the Study Abroad (or Global Engagement) portal of your university.

Allez Abroad has combined the best of both worlds. By accommodating your Faculty Leader’s academic needs along with the discovery of this unique landscape that Lozère has to offer. Rest assured that you will have a memorable experience. Should you need time to rest, you will also  have the opportunity to do that.

What is the housing arrangement?

Housing arrangements will vary by faculty-led program (i.e. size of the group and length of stay). Typically, you will stay in a 3-star hotel (double rooms) when in Paris or Barcelona, and touristic  housing (with meeting space) once in the rural area destination. More details can be found on the Allez Abroad program page. Your Faculty leader will discuss more details will be once the faculty-led program has been confirmed.

Should I learn the language of the country(s) I’m visiting?

Though not required, (as a bilingual Allez Abroad tour leader will be with you) it is always a good idea to learn some basic phrases. Or get a translation app for French. Not only will you improve your own knowledge, but it can foster a sense of respect for the local culture and people. Showing that you are trying to use the language can mean a lot!

What happens if there’s an emergency while I’m abroad?

In an emergency while studying abroad, first contact your university Faculty Leaders or Allez Abroad tour leader (as in-country support staff) who will likely be best able to assist you at the moment of need because they are on site. 

Call (your university) Study Abroad Department if it’s during normal office hours. 

If needed, contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate or the U.S. Department of State, Office of Overseas Citizens Services. Consular officers are available for emergency assistance 24 hours/day, 7 days/week at (+1) 202-501-4444. 

FAQ: Study Abroad for Students

After my Program

When will I receive the grade for my course?

Although your faculty-led course may end a few weeks later than your other semester classes, they still fall under (your university’s) academic policies. When the course has concluded, Professors will submit your grade for the faculty-led course upon your successful completion of the course. 

Can I travel before and after the Faculty-Led program?

You must arrive on time to join the program when it begins abroad, and you may not depart from the program early for individual travel – otherwise your grade could be in jeopardy. Your university does not require you to take specific flights to or from your faculty-led program destination Allez Abroad will book your flights. Remember: do not book airfare or make non-refundable payments as Allez Abroad will take care of it when advised to do so by your university Study Abroad department. If you make plans to travel before or after the program, your university or Allez Abroad is in no way liable or responsible for your individual travel. 

How do I put study abroad on my resume?

You can outline the academic components of your studies abroad on your resume. Include the courses you took, presentations you gave, and projects you worked on. Studying abroad is more than just learning in a classroom overseas. It’s what happens in your daily life abroad, your explorations and cultural encounters, where the most personal growth occurs.

You’ll strengthen your “soft skills” during study abroad. These skills include intercultural fluency, critical thinking/problem solving, flexibility, and adaptability. All these skills are what today’s employers are looking for!

Employers are demanding global ready graduates. Be sure to highlight the diversity of your experiences abroad! You can show that you willingly went out of your comfort zone. Also, the fact that you succeeded in navigating a new culture, currency, transportation system, language, etc.

You can include real examples of how you’ve demonstrated these soft skills in your cover letter. Also how you overcame specific challenges abroad. In addition, you can leverage the new friends and contacts you made abroad to network for jobs. For help translating your experience abroad into your future career, visit Career Services at your university. There are also many on-line resources to guide students in turning their study abroad into a resume builder.

Drop Us Your Email Address and We Can Send You A Sample Study Abroad Program!

Leave a Reply